On the 15th December 2010, Somerset County Council announced proposals that would result in the closure of 20 public libraries across the county. According to the plans:
- The public library service in Somerset will face budget cuts of 25%.
- 20 libraries will have funding removed – more than half of the current number.
- The fleet of mobile libraries will be reduced from 6 to 2.
- Remaining libraries will have opening hours reduced.
Somerset County Council have announced a consultation period in order to allow communities around the county to respond to the plans. This is our opportunity to have our say.
- Read the council’s plans in full
- Find out more about the implications of the council’s plans
- Simple things that you can do to get involved
- Sign the online petition